FIRST LADY CALLS ON COMBINED COMMUNITY EFFORTS AGAINST GBV

FIRST Lady MONICA GEINGOS of NAMIBIA says communities should join forces to curb Gender Based Violence in the country.
State radio, NBC News says she has made the call while addressing UNIVERSITY OF NAMIBIA students in the capital, WINDHOEK.

It says Gender Based Violence remains a national concern, despite numerous efforts by different stakeholders to address the issue.

The NAMIBIA WOMEN LAWYERS ASSOCIATION and the Office of the FIRST Lady have jointly addressed the students on how Gender Based Violence can be resolved.

The Association is a group of female legal practitioners aiming to network and educate undergraduates on campus on matters of national interest.

FIRST Lady GEINGOS has further advised people facing GBV issues in their households to report them to the relevant authorities, to avoid having the situations getting worse.

NBC News says more than 13-THOUSAND cases of GBV were reported countrywide in the past SIX years, a situation which is quite worrisome for a population of slightly above TWO-MILLION.

The NAMIBIAN FIRST Lady has also called on men who suffer domestic violence in the SADC country to report such cases to the police./Sabanews/cam

SABC BOARD APPOINTMENTS PROCESS IN FULL MOTION

The process to appoint an interim the SOUTH AFRICAN Broadcasting Corporation, SABC Board will now begin in earnest.

SABC News says the National Assembly adopted the report of the adhoc committee looking into the fitness of the SABC Board.

Committee Chairperson VINCENT SMITH had earlier told the House it was evident the SABC Board was set to fail from the very beginning.

Opposition DA Deputy Chief Whip MIKE WATERS says the report reads like a SHAKESPEAREAN tragedy, with Communications Minister FAITH MUTHAMBI playing Lady MACBETH, and former COO HLAUDI MOTSOENENG acting as Lord MACBETH.

The lawmaker says the Communications Minister should be fired and criminally charged for her role at the national broadcaster.

SABC News also says the National Assembly has adopted an adhoc committee report highly critical of Minister MUTHAMBI into the affairs of the SABC.

It says the UNITED DEMOCRATIC MOVEMENT has voiced objections to the fact that Mr MOTSOENENG was not afforded the opportunity to reply in person.

Mr MOTSOENENG says he will seek legal advice after he was refused the right to reply and he will hold a news conference to set the record straight.
Earlier, the ECONOMIC FREEDOM FRONT said it wanted criminal charges to be laid against the people implicated in the report.

Party MP FANA MOKOENA says Minister MUTHAMBI used an illegal Memorandum of Incorporation for the running of the SABC.

The group says it recommends criminal prosecutions of corrupt individuals in the entity and, most vital, the President to fire the incompetent minister.

The SOUTH AFRICAN opposition party says it hopes the Head of State will set aside his alleged factional and self-enrichment interest and do the right thing, for once in his life.

KINGDOM TO HOLD FRESH GENERAL ELECTIONS IN THREE MONTHS

LESOTHO: POLITICS/SABC/8/3/17 SABANews 1

MASERU – LESOTHO is to hold fresh general elections in THREE months, after TWO snap ballots in 2012 and 2015.

King LETSIE THE THIRD says he accepted the advice of Prime Minister PAKALITHA MOSISILI to dissolve Parliament and hold elections in the interest of unity, as well as to avoid a Constitutional crisis.

His announcement comes after the Prime Minister lost a vote of no confidence last WEDNESDAY.

However, SABC News says the opposition intends to challenge the dissolution of the National Assembly.

Deputy Prime Minister MOTHETJOA METSING has also confirmed the King has accepted the advice of the Prime Minister to dissolve the NINTH Parliament.

He says the Constitution demands elections within 90 days after the dissolution of Parliament, while the electoral law makes demands a voting day should be announced with FOUR days after the dissolution.

SABC says the opposition has attempted to invoke the powers of another statutory body, the Council of State, to prevent the move.

The Senior Private Secretary to the King says the Monarch has reached the decision in the interest of national unity and to avoid constitutional crises, and he has deemed it not wise to convene the Council of State as had been requested.

On the other hand, the opposition hoped to make its last move in Parliament, but the Speaker had already effected the Gazette.

BASOTHO NATIONAL PARTY Leader THESELE MASERIBANE says they fully understand, after a briefing by their legal advisers, there is a case on board.

He says the opposition party is preparing to challenge the planned Parliamentary dissolution at the Constitutional Court of LESOTHO, while the government and its allies say they are ready for polls.

Opposition groups also says they are confident they have support, but believe spending another 200-MILLION rand (about 15-MILLION-385-THOUSAND US dollars) within TWO years is not in the best interests of the country.

The SOUTH AFRICAN national broadcaster says it is now up to the LESOTHO Independent Electoral Commission to declare its readiness./Sabanews/cam

PRESIDENT RECEIVES MESSAGE FROM CENTRAL AFRICAN REPUBLIC

ANGOLA: DIPLOMACY/ANGOP/8/3/17 SABANews 1

LUANDA – President JOSÉ EDUARDO DOS SANTOS of ANGOLA has this week received a message from CENTRAL AFRICAN REPUBLIC Head of State FAUSTIN-ARCHANGE TOUADÉRA.

CENTRAL AFRICAN REPUBLIC Foreign Affairs Minister CHARLE ARMEL DUBANI delivered the letter during a meeting with President DOS SANTOS at the Presidential Palace in the capital, LUANDA.

The ANGOLAN Press Agency, ANGOP says Minister DUBANI has addressed the media at the end of the discussions, saying he has discussed with the ANGOLAN Leader the state of bilateral cooperation.

It quotes him as saying the situation of political stability in his country is improving, in terms of internal security, despite some isolated skirmishes disturbing the peace.

Minister DUBANI says the CENTRAL AFRICAN REPUBLIC Government has been working with the international community for the full restoration of peace and security, with a view to achieve the global development.

ANGOP also says ANGOLA and CENTRAL AFRICAN REPUBLIC have agreements signed in general terms in the political and diplomatic field.

Minister DUBANI says areas of interest include diamonds, diplomacy, defence and security; while President TOUADÉRA also made a trip to ANGOLA last JANUARY in order to strengthen cooperation.

ANGOLA and CENTRAL AFRICAN REPUBLIC are members of the International Conference on the GREAT LAKES Region, ICGLR.

Other members of the grouping are BURUNDI, REPUBLIC OF THE CONGO, DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC OF CONGO, KENYA, UGANDA, RWANDA, SUDAN, SOUTH SUDAN, TANZANIA, and ZAMBIA.

The ANGOLAN Head of State has been supporting the CENTRAL AFRICAN REPUBLIC, which experienced an internal interreligious conflict, to put an end to disagreement through dialogue./Sabanews/cam

ELECTORAL BODY TO HOLD NATIONAL MEETING ON VOTING
ANGOLA: ELECTIONS/ANGOP/8/3/17 SABANews 1

LUANDA – The ANGOLAN National Electoral Commission will hold a national methodological meeting from 16 to 17 MARCH in the capital, LUANDA, ahead of the 2017 polls.

Commission Spokesperson JÚLIA FERREIRA says the forum aims to provide technical and legal training to representatives of national and local bodies on the elections.

She says the gathering will further provide guidelines on the way the stakeholders will better fulfil their duties.

Ms FERREIRA also says there is a need to transmit strategic guidelines in terms of methodologies, which should be used to carry out the tasks.

She says it is important to provide the central and local electoral bodies with information on the timetable of the activities.

The Constitutional Court will also hold a seminar on 14 MARCH on the preparation and submission of political parties’ candidates to the general elections in AUGUST.

The meeting will take place at the Auditorium of the Justice Palace and will be attended by registered political parties and coalitions.

Legal parties and coalitions will send a maximum of THREE representatives, whose names must be submitted to the institution by the NINTH of MARCH before accreditation on the 13TH and the 14TH.

The FOURTH ANGOLAN General Elections are scheduled for AUGUST, after the FIRST held in 1992 and the SECOND in 2008.

The THIRD ANGOLA ballots in 2012 saw the coming in of a new general election model, in which the Head of State will be leader of the party with the majority votes and the SECOND will be the Vice President.