LAND GRABBING ON THE RISE AS DEMAND INTENSIFIES

NAMIBIA: LAND/NBC/31/1/18 SABANews 1

Resettlement remains a dream for her

WINDHOEK – NAMIBIA is finally in the middle of a dilemma it could have avoided if it had respected its liberation war objectives, and taken a different path from the one it took after decolonisation.

Like its TWO neighbours, SOUTH AFRICA in the south and ZIMBABWE in the north east, it has nursed the hot issue of land reallocation; the major cause for the armed struggle.

NBC News says incidents of land grabbing increased significantly last year, rising by as much as 75 percent countrywide.

It quotes WINDHOEK City Chief Executive Officer ROBERT KAHIMISE as saying the problem has surpassed crime rates and frequencies of most offences.

He says felonies such as murder, gender-based violence, housebreaking, armed robbery, theft, and rape have all gone down since 2016 through last year.

Urban residents want accommodation space

However, Mr KAHIMISE says illegal trading almost tripled from 32 incidents in 2016 to 93 cases last year in the capital, where poor communities are also calling for accommodation space.

In a separate development, a group of community members of the OMITARA Settlement in the OKORUKAMBE Constituency of the eastern OMAHEKE Region are pleading for land.

The national broadcaster says they include 56-year-old MONICA EISES, who has been homeless since the death of her husband a short time ago.

Ms EISES says she and her late husband had settled at BOOMLAGER Farm, on a piece of resettlement land allocated to his brother some 35 kilometres outside OMITARA.

She says her brother-in-law gave her THREE months to vacate after the death of her spouse, and she moved last MONDAY.

The middle-aged woman drove her 18 cattle, SEVEN horses, EIGHT goats, EIGHT sheep and THREE donkeys to OMITARA; but there is no place to graze them here.

Ms EISES says she is appealing to the government to find her a resettlement farm on which she can raise her TWO school-going children.

NBC News says she and other OMITARA residents evicted from farms called an urgent media conference this TUESDAY, pleading with the State for land on which they can resettle as a group.

Undoubtedly the originals of Southern Africa, the Bushmen continue roaming the plains

Land redistribution has remained a thorny issue in NAMIBIA because of a willing-seller-willing-buyer policy the authorities have continued to honour since independence, but some citizens are becoming impatient./Sabanews/cam

RITUALISTS EXHUME AND STEAL BODY OF AN ALBINO

ZAMBIA: ALBINISM/TIMES OF ZAMBIA/31/1/18 SABANews 1

How long will albinism remain a death sentence in Africa?

KALABO – Police in the WESTERN Province of ZAMBIA have arrested ONE suspect in connection with the theft of the remains of an albino buried in 2016 in the KALABO District.

The authorities say they are hunting for TWO other suspected ritual killers who escaped when the law-enforcement agents picked up the FIRST accused.

Relatives of the deceased woke up on SUNDAY to find the grave tampered with, and they reported the matter to the police; who discovered the coffin and the body were missing.

WESTERN Province Police Commissioner CHARLES LUNGU says the deceased was buried on the FOURTH of AUGUST TWO years ago.

He says in an interesting turn of events, they arrested a man after he and TWO others abducted a 13-year-old and his 15-year-old friend for suspected ritual purposes.

Commissioner LUNGU says the police impounded a TOYOTA SPACIO, Registration Number ALX 6413, which the THREE men used to abduct the boys and held them hostage for TWO days at a lodge.

He says following the abduction, the suspects bundled the TWO boys into the boot of the vehicle in order to take them to an unknown destination where they intended to kill them.

However, Commissioner LUNGU says after driving for some time, the THREE men parked the vehicle and the boys managed to open the boot and ran for their lives.

He says the police launched investigations and managed to apprehend the ONE suspect but failed to catch the main suspect believed to be the mastermind, KASWEKA KABINDA, who is still on the run.

The ZAMBIAN Police official says investigations have so far tied the event of the stolen albino remains to the failed murder of the abducted TWO boys.

Media reports say late last year people born with albinism staged a demonstration calling for an end to the madness of killing albinos for their body parts on the belief that they bring wealth or luck.

Albino killings are rarer in ZAMBIA, which has more than 25-THOUSAND such people, compared with other countries like neighbouring TANZANIA: where witch doctors pay up to 75-THOUSAND US dollars for a complete set of albino body parts./Sabanews/cam

KOMBI CRASHES INTO CLASSROOM FULL OF PUPILS

SWAZILAND: ACCIDENT/TIMES OF SWAZILAND/31/1/18 SABANews 1

Kombi driver abandoned vehicle as it rammed into classroom

NGWANE PARK – More than 10 pupils narrowly escaped death after a kombi crashed into their classroom this week at NGWANE Park High School in the Central SWAZILAND City of MANZINI.

The TIMES OF SWAZILAND says the driver of the vehicle was ferrying other schoolchildren when rammed into the classrooms, allegedly while racing other kombis.

It says the incident, which left members of the public, parents and teachers at the school shaken, took place at about SEVEN in the morning.

The driver was carrying kids from LOGOBA-NEW Village to NGWANE Park when he lost control of the vehicle and jumped off while it was in motion, leaving the pupils screaming hysterically.

He suffered no injuries after jumping, and he has told the police he also watched in disbelief as the vehicle knocked a group of pupils standing nearby before ramming into the wall of a Form FOUR classroom.

The TIMES says most of the pupils who were aboard the vehicle suffered injuries and had to be rushed to the RALEIGH FITKIN Memorial Hospital.

Authorities say TWO of the pupils who were knocked by the kombi before it rammed into the classroom are in critical conditions and are admitted to the same medical centre; and ONE of them has a fractured arm.

Teachers and parents present at the SWAZI school say the kombi driver, instead of jumping for his own life, should have tried to control and directed the vehicle onto a nearby heap of sand being used for construction./Sabanews/cam

SCHOOLS PRODUCE BETTER PASS RATES BUT STILL LACK IN SCIENCES

TANZANIA: EDUCATION/DAILY NEWS/31/1/18 SABANews 1

Their future is in the books

DAR ES SALAAM – The National Examination Council of TANZANIA has released encouraging results for the 2017 Certificate of Secondary Education Examinations and Qualifying Tests.

The DAILY NEWS says schools have produced an increased pass rate of 77-POINT-57 percent, which is SEVEN-POINT-22 percent higher than the 70-POINT-35 percent of 2016.

It also says the past academic year recorded a higher number of candidates who landed between Divisions ONE and THREE, increasing up to 30-POINT-15 percent; compared to the 25-POINT-34 percent pass rate in 2015 and 27-POINT-60 percent in 2016.

National Examination Council Executive Secretary CHARLES MSONDE has announced the results at a news conference in the commercial capital, DAR ES SALAAM.

He says the KISWAHILI Language paper had the highest passes among all the subjects, while Basic MATHEMATICS still remains at the bottom.

Mr MSONDE says while the increased pass rates are encouraging, the authorities are worried over the continued poor performances in PHYSICS, Basic MATHEMATICS, COMMERCE, and BOOKKEEPING.

The official says there is need for concerted efforts to increase the pass rate in all subjects, even the leading KISWAHILI Language that had an 84-POINT-42 percent.

The Council recorded 66-POINT-86 pass rate in ENGLISH Language, BIOLOGY 61-POINT-37 percent, CIVICS 59-POINT-75 percent, HISTORY 55-POINT-99 percent, CHEMISTRY 53-POINT-39 percent, and GEOGRAPHY 53-POINT-18 percent.

It recorded the lowest marks in COMMERCE – with 46-POINT-45 percent, PHYSICS 42-POINT-17 percent, BOOKKEEPING 40-POINT-82 percent, and MATHEMATICS 19-POINT-19 percent.

Mr MSONDE has named the top 10 schools as SAINT FRANCIS Girls in MBEYA City, FEZA Boys in DAR ES SALAAM City, KEMEBOS in KAGERA Region, BETHEL SABS Girls in IRINGA Region, and ANWARITE Girls in KILIMANJARO District.

Others are MARIAN Girls in the COAST Region, CANOSSA in DAR ES SALAAM, FEZA Girls in DAR ES SALAAM, MARIAN Boys in the COAST Region, and SHAMSIYE Boys in DAR ES SALAAM City.

He has further revealed the 10 poorest performers have been KUSINI in UNGUJA South, PWANI MCHANGANI in UNGUJA North, MWENGE SMZ and LANGONI in MJINI MAGHARIBI, FURAHA in DAR ES SALAAM, and MBESA in RUVUMA.

Others are KABUGARO in KAGERA, CHOKOCHO in PEMBA South, NYEBURU in DAR ES SALAAM, and MTULE in UNGUJA South.

However, the TANZANIA National Examination Council Executive has cancelled the results of 265 candidates, 136 of them being private candidates and the other 129 from public schools, for cheating incidences./Sabanews/cam

AGRICULTURE AGENCY PLANS TEMPORARY MARKET TO DECONGEST CITY

SEYCHELLES: CONGESTION/SNA/30/1/18 SABANews 1
Victoria Market De-congested

 

VICTORIA – The main market of the SEYCHELLES capital city, VICTORIA, has become congested to the extent that the Agriculture Agency has decided to build a temporary facility on the outskirts.
 
The national news agency, SNA, says the facility will for the meantime be located at BOIS DE ROSE while the agency seeks a location to build a permanent one.
 
The Deputy Chief Executive Officer of the SEYCHELLES Agricultural Agency says some people had begun selling items on the street, which shows availability of space is an issue.
 
LINETTA ESTICO says they will submit a plan of the additional market to the Planning Authority this week, and construction will begin as soon as the approval is given.
 
SEYCHELLES is a group of 115 islands in the Western INDIAN Ocean, but has ONE main market, the Sir SELWYN SELWYN-CLARKE Market, built in 1840 and renovated in 1999 in the capital.
 
SNA says the market, which is the energetic heart of VICTORIA, has a variety of fresh fruits, vegetables, fish, and other items: and it attracts visitors, as it gives a feel for SEYCHELLOIS way of life.
 
Agricultural Agency Deputy Chief Executive Officer ESTICO says the temporary market will accommodate up to 28 vendors, preferably farmers selling fruits or vegetables at the Sir SELWYN SELWYN-CLARKE Market.
 
She says it will also take up local crafts men under the management of the Small Enterprise Promotion Agency.
 
ONE vendor, MARCEL SUZETTE, currently selling at the market in VICTORIA, says the idea of an additional market place is a good initiative for both vendors and shoppers.
 
He says it will provide another convenient option for shoppers as the VICTORIA market is getting too packed.
The SEYCHELLOIS trader says he hopes the temporary market and others to be built in the future will have more entertainment that will attract visitors and local shoppers alike./Sabanews/cam

CONTINENT HEADING TOWARDS CHEAPER AIR TRAVEL

AFRICA: TRANSPORT/SABC/31/1/18 SABANews 1

Towards cheaper air travel on the Continent

ADDIS ABABA – At least 23 AFRICAN countries have signed an agreement to set up the Single AFRICAN Air Transport Market, SAATM, with the aim to reduce air travel costs.

SOUTH AFRICAN SABC News says the move comes after people of the Continent have, for years, paid sky-high airfares when travelling within AFRICA.

It says the AFRICAN UNION has launched the major aviation trade agreement to change the situation, by allowing the airlines of signatory countries to access each other’s airports freely.

AU Chairperson, President PAUL KAGAME of RWANDA, has revealed the move at the launch of SAATM on the sidelines of the recent AU Summit in ADDIS ABABA, ETHIOPIA.

He says the market is vital for the overall development of the continent, where international air links between many cities are expensive or non-existent.

SABC News also quotes a 2010 World Bank study as saying air travel between AFRICAN countries has for years, been governed by a relatively small number of bilateral agreements.

The report says the situation has been a legacy of the post-colonial era when air carriers from newly independent states connected chiefly with their former colonial powers.

It says many AFRICAN countries restrict their air services markets to protect the shares of national carriers, but the new deal hopes to reduce airfares and increase the number of direct air connections.

The SOUTH AFRICAN Representative to the International Civil Aviation Organisation has told the media companies can now freely access all countries in the single market, without relying anymore on bilateral agreements, whether they exist or not.

Current members of the SAATM are BENIN, BOTSWANA, BURKINA FASO, CAPE VERDE, REPUBLIC OF CONGO, IVORY COAST, EGYPT, ETHIOPIA, and GABON.

Others are GHANA, GUINEA, KENYA, LIBERIA, MALI, MOZAMBIQUE, NIGER, NIGERIA, RWANDA, SIERRA LEONE, SOUTH AFRICA, SWAZILAND, TOGO, and ZIMBABWE.

Nevertheless, SABC News says the group is hosting some of the continent’s busiest airports, including JOHANNESBURG, CAPE TOWN, CAIRO, LAGOS, and NAIROBI.

The new single air travel market comes as a priority of the AU Agenda 2063 for a peaceful and prosperous AFRICA, and the AU Chairperson says work is ongoing to apply TWO other planks of the Blueprint: a free trade zone and a single AFRICAN passport./Sabanews/cam