FIRE GUTS GIRLS’ HOSTELS AT SECONDARY SCHOOL

MALAWI: FIRE/NYASA TIMES/23/2/18 SABANews 1
People fight a fire in Mulanje District
MULANJE – A fire has burned down a hostel block at the PROVIDENCE Girls Secondary School in the MULANJE District of MALAWI, destroying a considerable amount of property.
 
The NYASA TIMES newspaper quotes a witness as saying the blaze started at around FIVE O’clock in the morning, consuming part of the BUNDA Hostel.
 
It says people around the school, the Police, and power supply officials from MULANJE rushed to the scene to help put out the fire, which destroyed belongings such as clothes, books, and bags of some students.
 
Deputy Headmaster ALLAN KHWISA says the cause of the fire will be established after ongoing investigations, although they suspect it could have emanated from electrical fault.
 
He says they will also have a list and assess the value of damaged property after the investigations.
 
SHIRE Highlands Education Division Senior Inspector SAMUEL MANDAUKA has commended fire fighters from BLANTYRE City Council for their rapid response.
 
The TIMES says there have been calls to have firefighting equipment in all councils, since this is the FOURTH such accident to happen in MULANJE District in recent times.
 
Different fire outbreaks destroyed a kitchen at MULANJE Secondary School, a hostel at MULANJE District Hospital and the entire MULANJE Boma Market, before the recent incident in the SOUTHERN Region of MALAWI./Sabanews/cam

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *