SOUTH AFRICA: LABOUR/SABC/20/9/18 SABANews 1
JOHANNESBURG – The SOUTH AFRICAN Broadcasting Corporation says it plans to invoke the Labour Relations Act to retrench hundreds of workers to cut costs.
However, SABC News says an urgent request by the National Assembly Communications Committee has secured approval to call the SABC Board before Parliament.
It says the Chairperson of Committees, CEDRIC FROLICK, has confirmed the meeting will take place next week.
It quotes him as saying he has agreed to the request of the Communications Committee to call the SABC Board for an urgent meeting this coming TUESDAY.
Mr FROLICK says the only outstanding thing is the approval of the Chief Whip, because lawmakers are currently in their constituencies for the next TWO weeks.
The proposed talks come after the public broadcaster revealed intentions to use Section 189 of the Labour Relations Act to lay off a large number of employees as a cost cutting measure.
Communications Committee Chairperson HUMPHREY MAXEGWANA says they want the SABC Board to present the turnaround strategy for the public broadcaster.
Yet, he says the Committee only learnt about the retrenchments through the media – while the Board has not even presented its turnaround strategy as demanded.
ONE news report says Communications Minister NOMVULA MOKONYANE has already condemned the SABC planned retrenchments, despite its cash-flow problems.
The SOUTH AFRICAN national broadcaster, employing FOUR-THOUSAND workers and an annual salary bill of THREE-POINT-ONE-BILLION rand, reportedly recorded a loss of 622-MILLION rand last year./Sabanews/cam