STATE SUSPENDS SIM CARD REGISTRATION

MALAWI: COMMUNICATION/MBC/14/2/18 SABANews 1
SIM card registration suspended


BLANTYRE – The government of MALAWI has suspended the registration of Subscriber Identity Module, SIM cards amid allegations of anomalies in the exercise.
 
ZNBC News says Information and Communications Technology Minister NICHOLAS DAUSI has announced the decision in the National Assembly.
 
He says the government has made the move after noting there are indeed issues that need rectification before the implementation.
 
The national broadcaster says the development follows concerns from some Members of Parliament after the Minister gave a ministerial statement in the House on MONDAY.
 
It says MANGOCHI SOUTH MP LILLIAN PATEL has commended the State for listening to the concerns of lawmakers and the nation at large, because people need to be fully aware of the process before it starts.
 
Earlier media reports say the MALAWI Communications Regulatory Authority this MONDAY ordered all mobile phone users in the country to register their SIM cards.
 
It warned mobile phone users in the country would not be able to use unregistered SIM cards starting from APRIL this year, before the current order to halt the registration.
 
Meanwhile, ONE online publication says the suspension of registration comes after concerns over alleged State spying and long queues in verification.
 
It quotes Minister DAUSI as saying long queues had been witnessed at service providers, as hundreds of people trooped out to register their SIM cards to beat the deadline.
 
He says the authorities understand the need to register SIM cards is a legal matter, but they are a listening government that respects the people to ensure smooth implementation of the law.
 
The MALAWI Communications Regulatory Authority says the mandatory registration of SIM cards and generic numbers will help prevent criminal cases encountered in the absence of such a provision./Sabanews/cam

UNIVERSITY OF TRANSPORT ON THE CARDS

TANZANIA: EDUCATION/DAILY NEWS/14/2/18 SABANews 1
Transportation students under training
DAR ES SALAAM – TANZANIA says it will soon set up a University of Transportation, after securing a grant worth 62-MILLION US dollars from the government of CHINA.
 
The DAILY NEWS says CHINESE Ambassador WANG KE has revealed the information in the commercial capital, DAR ES SALAAM.
 
It says she has delivered a special message to President JOHN MAGUFULI from the CHINESE Head of State, XI JINPING.
 
The daily quotes unnamed sources as saying the government has asked CHINA for the money to build the learning institution, whose details should be out next week.
 
It says Ambassador WANG KE has told President MAGUFULI the donation is part of CHINESE support for development projects in TANZANIA.
 
She says the assistance from the ASIAN country aims to strengthen bi-lateral relations between the TWO nations.
 
TANZANIA currently has the National Institute of Transport, a public higher learning institution established in 1975 as a training wing of the then National Transport Corporation.
 
The DAILY NEWS says the National Institute of Transport is responsible for strengthening human resource capabilities of transport operatives and middle level managers.
 
It says it is the only such training institution in Sub-SAHARAN AFRICA, excluding SOUTH AFRICA, mandated by the government of TANZANIA to offer training in transportation.
 
The Head of State has also asked the CHINESE Envoy to carry his greetings to President JINPING, saying the support for the scheme institute will play a vital role in the improvement of transport in TANZANIA./Sabanews/cam

PRESIDENT URGES NATIONAL ASSEMBLY TO DEBATE VALUABLE ISSUES

NAMIBIA: PARLIAMENT/NBC/14/2/18 SABANews 1

2016 Parliamentary Opening (Pic. The Namibia)

WINDHOEK – President HAGE GEINGOB of NAMIBIA has called on members of Parliament to engage in debates that can help resolve national socio-economic issues.

He also says he expects the lawmakers to be accountable and serve the interests of the people, rather than their own benefits.

President GEINGOB says only accountable policy makers who also pass bills on time can give meaning to the SIXTH Parliamentary Theme: Enhancing Partnership to Strengthen Good Governance in NAMIBIA.

He says the Year of Reckoning Declaration means the Government will be judged by its ability to govern effectively, given the increased expectations of citizens.

President GEINGOB says lawmakers, including backbenchers, have been travelling excessively before he banned foreign trips for government officials to cut spending.

NBC News says he has addressed the SEVENTH Session of the SIXTH Parliament in the capital, WINDHOEK, where he has also emphasised the issuing of diplomatic passports to lawmakers should not be seen as an entitlement.

Lawmakers in NAMIBIA are due to debate 20 law proposals, including the Education Bill; the Plant Breeders and Farmers’ Rights Bill; and the Financial Institutions and Market Bill./Sabanews/cam

PRESIDENT CONTINUES TO FACE-OFF WITH RULING PARTY

SOUTH AFRICA: PRESIDENCY/SABC/14/2/18 SABANews 1
Embattled President Jacob Zuma
PRETORIA – President JACOB ZUMA of SOUTH AFRICA has continued to defy calls for him to leave office, even after his ruling ANC Party recalled him from the government.
 
ANC Chairperson GWEDE MANTASHE says the embattled Head of State will force the party to humiliate him with a vote of no confidence or even impeachment, if he fails to comply.
 
SABC News says Mr MANTASHE has addressed dozens of ANC members gathered to celebrate the 106TH Anniversary of the Party at BUTTERWORTH in the EASTERN CAPE.
 
It says his visit to the rural constituency has aimed to report back as tensions and uncertainty of the recall process drags on, with party stalwarts eager to avoid embarrassing the veteran leader.
 
Mr MANTASHE says the ANC has given no-deadline to President ZUMA, although the party has exhausted other strategies of talking the Head of State out of his position.
 
He says President ZUMA should have either stepped down on his own accord, or responded to the letter recalling him – by resigning, failure of which he faces a vote-of-no-confidence.
 
However, Mr MANTASHE says the ANC will submit its own motion of no confidence rather than support the opposition move; but they expect a favourable response from President ZUMA no later than today (WEDNESDAY).
 
Meanwhile, the opposition AZANIAN PEOPLE’S ORGANISATION, AZAPO, has declared the problem of recalling President ZUMA is an affair of the ANC.
 
However, SABC News quotes AZAPO President STRIKE THOKOANA as saying the continued discord proves the ANC has failed to lead, and SOUTH AFRICANS should now vote it out.
 
The SOUTH AFRICAN Leader is due to announce his decision on the move by his party to recall him as a Head of State, but he remains the President of the country until he calls it quits./Sabanews/cam

PARLIAMENTARY COMMITTEE DEMANDS ACTION AGAINST FRAUDSTERS

TANZANIA: CORRUPTION/DAILY NEWS/9/2/18 SABANews 1

Parliament of Tanzania

DAR ES SALAAM – The Parliament of TANZANIA Constitutional and Legal Affairs Committee says it is concerned about lack of action against proven corrupt officials in the country.

The DAILY NEWS says the team has called on the State to prosecute thieves and dishonest people who have abused public funds and sabotaged national development plans.

The committee has issued a statement to the National Assembly, raising alarm over former officials of the National Social Security Fund who were dismissed in 2016.

It says they were accused of corruption and embezzlement of public funds, but none of them has appeared before the courts over the TWO years.

The committee says the government has been firm against corruption and over expenditure, and it should act now on the case of the dismissed National Social Security Fund officials.

Committee Chairperson MOHAMED MCHENGERWA says organs like the Social Security Regulatory Authority, the Bank of TANZANIA, as well as the Prevention and Combatting of Corruption Bureau have worked on the matter.

Meanwhile, TWO more parliamentary committees have tabled their reports in the National Assembly demanding action on the shortage of civil servants and fast track reviews of subsidiary legislations in TANZANIA./Sabanews/cam

ZIMBABWEAN PRESIDENT GAINS MORE SUPPORT IN REGION

SADC: POLITICS/THE HERALD/9/2/18 SABANews 1

President EMMERSON MNANGAGWA

GABORONE – President SERETSE KHAMA IAN KHAMA of BOTSWANA has invited the new ZIMBABWEAN Head of State for a State visit to his country.

THE HERALD newspaper of ZIMBABWE quotes a statement from the government of BOTSWANA as saying EMMERSON MNANGAGWA will be in GABORONE for TWO days.

It says the TWO leaders are scheduled to discuss a number of matters of mutual interest on MONDAY and TUESDAY.

President MNANGAGWA will take along Foreign Affairs and International Trade Minister Retired Lieutenant-General SIBUSISO MOYO and other senior Government officials, as well as a business delegation to the neighbouring country.

The government of BOTSWANA says the Joint Permanent Commission on Cooperation will discuss a wide range of issues.

It says the talks aim to broaden and deepen bilateral ties in areas such as trade and investment promotion, energy, control of trans-boundary animal diseases, and tourism promotion.

Delegates to the meeting will further discuss matters of education, health, shared water courses, transportation, and cultural cooperation to mention but a few.

President MNANGAGWA has been to SOUTH AFRICA, MOZAMBIQUE, ANGOLA, ZAMBIA and NAMIBIA, apprising his counterparts on political developments in the country since he came to power last NOVEMBER.

The ZIMBABWEAN Leader took over from former President ROBERT MUGABE, who left office after running the SADC country for 37 years./Sabanews/cam

DISTRICT BEMOANS INCREASED DEATHS OF EXPECTING MOTHERS

MALAWI: MOTHERHOOD/NYASA TIMES/9/2/18 SABANews 1
No end to unsafe motherhood
CHITIPA – At least NINE women have died due to pregnancy-related complications while 65 others have delivered babies at home within SIX months in Northern MALAWI.
 
CHITIPA District Hospital Matron GRACE CHAMDIMBA has revealed the shocking news during a community awareness campaign by the WHITE RIBBON ALLIANCE this week in Traditional Authority MWENEMISUKU.
 
The NYASA TIMES newspaper quotes her as saying the NINE dead women include SIX MALAWIANS, TWO ZAMBIANS and ONE TANZANIAN.
 
Matron CHAMDIMBA says the authorities are worried that some women are still delivering at home and dying, despite vigorous campaigns on the need for them to give birth in health facilities.
 
She says all stakeholders should be more serious and work as a team to make communities aware of how vital it is for pregnant women to deliver at hospitals.
 
The TIMES says referral cases in CHITIPA are a nightmare, as the only ambulance available at the hospital caters for 12 health facilities located far apart from each other.
 
However, it says the WHITE RIBBON ALLIANCE has strengthened capacity building of local structures to reduce the number of women delivering at home in the district, which borders TANZANIA and ZAMBIA.
 
WHITE RIBBON ALLIANCE National Coordinator NANCY KAMWENDO says there is an improvement of attitude among workers in some health facilities.
 
Nevertheless, she says some of them are still using abusive language and are failing to attend to patients on time.
 
The international NGO official says WHITE RIBBON ALLIANCE continues to sensitise communities in MALAWI about their rights in matters of health./Sabanews/cam

MINISTRY TAKES MEASURES TO PROTECT KIDS ON THE WEB

The Internet is increasingly becoming dangerous to kids

NAMIBIA: INTERNET/NBC/9/2/18 SABANews 1

WINDHOEK – The Ministry of Education Arts and Culture in NAMIBIA says it has put measures in place to protect children on the internet.

Deputy Permanent Secretary CHARLES KABAJANI says they have introduced a trainer manual in schools to help teachers carry out the task.

The booklet guides teachers to equip learners with skills needed to deal with cyber bullying, indecent exposure and other cybercrimes they may face when using the web.

Mr KABAJANI says the Ministry is finalizing the National Safe School Framework, which prescribes standards and guidelines to ensure safety of internet users in learning institutions.

NBC News quotes UNICEF Country Representative RACHEL ODEDE as saying NAMIBIA now has laws and policies to ensure prosecution of anyone who targets a child for harm.

Ms ODEDE says once the Electronic Cyber Bill becomes law, it will put in place an even stronger legal framework to address on-line exploitation and abuse of children.

The UNITED NATIONS official has called on parents and caregivers in NAMIBIA to pay close attention to their children’s on-line activities.

Researchers say new technologies such as the internet are very valuable, but they can put children at risk of exploitation and harm.

They say the world-wide-web can give people who want to abuse or manipulate kids a medium to network, share information and fantasies, and explore new identities.

To make matters even worse, the use of the internet has both national and global implications that make the monitoring and policing of exploitative practices all the more difficult.

Authors TINK PALMER and LISA STACEY say new technologies make children far more accessible to people wishing to abuse them, while sexual abuse through the net can take many forms.

Internet child sexual abuse includes distribution of abusive images of children, grooming victims for later abuse through teen chat rooms, bulletin boards and online communities where abusers befriend kids to gain trust.

The writers say grooming aims to pacify a young person to sexual activities, which may become increasingly abusive, and to feed the groomer’s fantasies of introducing a young person to such material./Sabanews/cam

POLICE CHASE AND CAPTURE TWO ARMED ROBBERS IN TETE

MOZAMBIQUE: ROBBERY/RM/8/2/1/18 SABANews 1
Mozambique Police patrol
CHANGARA – A gang of FOUR men armed with a MAKAROV Pistol has raided a petrol station and took off with large amounts of cash in Western MOZAMBIQUE.
 
RADIO MOZAMBIQUE says the incident occurred in the CHANGARA Town of TETE Province, and the thieves managed to grab some EIGHT-THOUSAND-AND-60 US dollars.
 
It says the petrol station was unguarded because the gang had allegedly arranged with the private security company that was supposed to be protecting the facility.
 
The robbers drove off towards the port of BEIRA after escaping arrest using their getaway vehicle, a TOYOTA COROLLA.
However, the police say they caught up with them in the GURO District of MANICA Province when they were trying to change a flat tyre.
 
TWO of the robbers escaped but the authorities arrested the other TWO, FRANCISCO MACHAVA and SANSAO MBOENE; and they managed to recover part of the stolen money, the pistol and 16 bullets.
Anti-cholera campaign teams at work
In a separate development, a cholera outbreak reported in the northern province of NAMPULA has now spread to the LURIO Administrative Post in MEMBA District.
 
Provincial Chief Doctor SULAIMANA ISIDORO has told reporters the FIRST cases in LURIO were diagnosed on 30 JANUARY.
 
She says 22 people have so far tested positive for the disease, which has since killed ONE patient in the area.
 
However, Dr ISIDORO says she is pleased campaigns promoting individual and collective hygiene in the city seem to have paid off, bringing the cholera situation under control.
 
The health authorities in MOZAMBIQUE say they have recorded TWO deaths and ONE-THOUSAND-552 cases of cholera since the outbreak began in SEPTEMBER last year./Sabanews/cam

STATE EXPECTS BILLIONS OF DOLLARS IN REVENUE FROM GAS

MOZAMBIQUE: GAS/RM/8/2/18 SABANews 1

Natural Gas extraction plant

CABO DELGADO – MOZAMBIQUE says it expects to collect more than 30-BILLION US dollars from gas revenue by 2047.

The UNITED STATES-based company, ANADARKO, has clinched a deal to extract natural gas off the coast of the northern province of CABO DELGADO.

RADIO MOZAMBIQUE says the State has approved a plan for Offshore Area ONE in the ROVUMA Basin, where a consortium headed by ANADARKO has discovered vast reserves.

It says approval of the scheme paves the way for ANADARKO and its partners to take their Final Investment Decision on the project.

Culture and Tourism Deputy Minister ANA COMOANA, the Government Spokesperson, has revealed the information to reporters after a weekly Cabinet Meeting in the capital, MAPUTO.

She says the plan covers extraction of gas from undersea wells, its transportation to onshore liquefaction plants, and storage equipment with the capacity to handle almost SIX-MILLION tonnes of gas a year.

The MOZAMBICAN Cabinet Spokesperson says her country estimates by the year 2047 the natural gas project will generate revenue of 30-POINT-SEVEN-BILLION US dollars, from taxes and shared profits./Sabanews/cam